Sunday, September 15, 2013

the 'f' word.

I think it's about time we talk about the F word. No, not the one that rhymes with duck, but one that seems to be equally appalling to people: Feminism.

With the latest Mormon controversy arising I feel it's due time I state my opinion publicly. 

Here's the background: There is a group of LDS feminists called, "Ordain Women" who are protesting that women should be able to hold the priesthood. On October 5th the group is planning on walking to the conference center to attend priesthood session. 

Here's my opinion: First off, I just want to say that I believe the church is true with all my heart. With that said, I consider myself a feminist. (You can be a good mormon and feminist, the two coexist wonderfully, actually.)

Now, let's face it, the Mormon culture is highly patriarchal. Let me emphasize my point: That is the culture needs improving not the doctrine. The doctrine is just fine, and part of our doctrine is that men and women have different roles. However just because the roles are different (men hold the priesthood, women have children) does not make the role of a man's any better (or worse) than the role of a woman's. They are equally valued and different. I do not think it is okay to demand the priesthood. Men were pre-ordained to have the priesthood, women were not. I'm okay with that.

However, I'm not okay with many aspects of the culture. And if an LDS woman were to question different aspects of our Mormon culture, I might support their efforts. Most of you probably weren't aware that last General Conference (Spring 2013) was the first time a women said the prayer at General Conference. I thought it was pretty cool. And it was brought about because a group of women asked the question. They did this very politely and appropriately, and I think that is great. I even clapped when I saw there was a woman giving the invocation. I thought it was really exciting.

Men and women have different and equal roles and sometimes I don't think the equality of our roles is always present. But that is only the fault of the culture, which we can change through respectfully questioning. When we question, we invite change that is often needed. When we protest, we usually just bring about contention.

So in summary: I am against protesting church doctrine, but I am for promoting a more equal culture.

3 comments: