Sunday, February 3, 2013

heart-shaped chocolates.

On February 1st we all welcomed in the love month. Although, in accordance with my love life -nonexistent- I would rather focus on February as black history month. However, we welcomed in the romance and we noted that our Walmarts are brimming with heart-shaped boxes of chocolates and roses as red as a red crayon (my creative juices are really flowing today...).

On this Friday morning I woke up with a start and looked at my clock, 7:15. (Please note that if I don't leave by 7:25 I will be late.) I grabbed my ugliest t-shirt and favorite jeans and headed out of the house. Trekking into the school had never been such a burden. Late as usual, I scurried up to my first class. When I was suddenly stopped. "Cassie!" The voice was not one I recognized but I turned around. I recognized the face of the nice boy who had shouted the salutation. 

"Hey, how are you?" I instinctively responded. After we both claimed we were doing well I turned to enter my classroom. "Wait," he said and began unzipping his grey backpack. My instincts knew what was coming before my head was warned. A box of heart-shaped chocolates was retrieved from his bag and he smiled, handing it to me. I clasped my hands together at first unwilling to receive such a gift. But slowly I smiled and said "thank you" about a million times. He explained the purpose of this unexpected gift and I continued to say thanks because no other words came to my mind. 

After his explanation we stood there for a moment in silence. "...thank you so much" I repeated. After more silence occurred I awkwardly gestured to my classroom, "I have to go to class" I mumbled. More sweet declarations were uttered from him and I continued to reply "thanks, thank you so much." Then I entered my classroom and breathed a little. Cursing myself for not knowing more synonyms for the word 'thanks.' 

I have never gotten a box of chocolates from anyone besides my mother before so this really was sweet. However, on this February morning as we welcomed the heart holiday in, I was reminded again that I hate the Cupid. Dearest Cupid, Please, don't create anymore entertainment for yourself by shooting just one person, shoot them both or not at all, I am begging you. Love, Cassie and Probably everyone else. 

If anyone else writes about awkward or endearing Valentine's days, please send me the link. I would love to read them. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment