Wednesday, January 30, 2013

kryptonite.

Almost a year ago today I donated blood for the first time ever. Then I bragged about my ability to donate my blood so quickly, I claimed it was a superpower of mine. Well, today I donated blood for the  fourth (pretty sure it's the fourth) time and I found the kryptonite to my super-bleeding skill.

I sat there in the chair all smug because I knew about my special power and the phlebotomist didn't. Well I guess I got a bit cocky because this blood donating experience wasn't smooth and easy. I guess the vein in my right arm was floppy so it was hard to find. And when a vein is hard to find, it's the vein's host that suffers the most (unintentional, awesome rhyme). I squirmed a bit because I'm a baby. Then the needle found my vein and all was well. It was racing time. I was concentrating on bleeding my very best when all of the sudden the needle popped up and the phlebotomist flipped out. She pulled the needle out and informed me my vein had burst and I would get a bruise there. Lovely.

Then she asked me if I would like to donate in my other arm. Um...no thank you, said my head and arm. But my mouth had other ideas and so I found myself again being stabbed by the needle. And this time it was uneventful, but slow. My superpower is gone. Boo hoo. 

No comments:

Post a Comment